Followers

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Some Days Just Flow

So, to be honest, I've been having a little bit of trouble keeping up with my word count.  Still hitting it, but often in the 11th hour, managing 2500 words on Sunday, being way behind on my midweek check-in.  I've been talking a little bit about running out of steam recently, about losing this focus I've found, and when last week I didn't have a 4k word day I was getting a little worried.  A 4k word day is a glorious event where I write above and beyond my prerequisite two thousand words, and I was having at least one a week, up until last week.  Oh no, I thought.  Maybe I'm just forcing this story.  Maybe I'm not having as much fun with it as I was in the beginning.  I wasn't going to give it up, but I didn't want the remaining week or so with this thing to be a drag, either.  So wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles, last night was a 4k word night.

And do you know what I think the problem was?  In chapter seven, Perrad split off from the others, going to the city alone and giving the others just enough of his supplies that they could find their own way back to the surface.  Going to the city.  Alone.  I've been starving for dialogue for 15k words!  Three long chapters with no one to talk to, no dialogue to write, just page after page of description, as much action as I could stomach, and not much else.  A lot of internal monologuing, you know what I'm talking about.  Last night Rhaes and Kail came back in what I hope isn't too much of a plot convenience, and last night just flowed.  It was wonderful.  I could have gone on indefinitely, but by then it was two in the morning and I was running off of five hours of sleep the night before.  It was really a good writing night.  The last couple of chapters weren't too well planned, either, and are probably going to need some heavy editing, but I've been planning this chapter in my head for months, and I know what needs to happen exactly when, and even if I have some trouble with that I have three strong characters that can make something up while I figure out where the hell I'm going with it.

When I say I've been having trouble I'm being a little dramatic... I've still been hitting 10k words, which is my goal, so I really don't know what I'm freaking out about.  Heck, the week before last I had another six thousand words above and beyond my goal, so I really don't know what I'm being so pessimistic about.  Or why I'm being pessimistic at all.  Must be in my nature to worry, which would make a lot of sense... I had hoped I hadn't gotten any of those traits from my mother, but oh well.  What else do some of you stress out about, maybe in terms of character development, or plot?  What are the little things that worry you when in all reality you're doing just fine?  I'm prepping for NaNoWriMo, too, and that might be what's really jacking up my negative perception.  If I'm only writing 10k words a week now, I'm really going to have to step it up in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment