Followers

Friday, November 19, 2010

The Tragic Story...

Of my internet.  Readers, I have a sad tale to tell.  A virus has infected my computer, and it's gotten so bad that I can't even use the internet.  Sad, sad times.  But also wonderfully productive...  Hmm.  Anyway, this is the reason for my ongoing odd posting hours and skipping days, for which I apologize.  I'm going to try harder to get a post out every weekday; that was one of my main goals for starting this blog in the first place.

I don't know what else I can say about writing today, except for a very important side effect that I have discovered that writers out there should watch out for - inactivity.  My lifestyle for the past few months has really been best described as 'sedentary'.  I write, a lot, I do homework, The only time I'm moving is when I'm at work, and even then I stand at a register for 4-6 hours.  I don't know if this is just me that has this problem, or if there are other, much smarter writers out there who figured this out way before I did, but I really miss getting my heart pumping, moving, feeling active.  I've also been missing out on a low of new places, new people, and fodder for my subconscious to process into story ideas and character outlines.  Today, for example, I went to a soccer game for my school, where two clubs were playing each other - the ISA, or International Student Association, and the Unification of Africa club.  As you can probably imagine, it was fantastic!  I was hearing languages I had never heard before, I was hearing stories of places and pasts from these people that I might have never associated myself with otherwise, and I was getting a pretty good (though light, I was one of three women and they put us all on defense) workout.  I even took some notes when I got subbed out for the second half.  I'm going hiking on Monday, and I'm really looking forward to that, maybe meeting some people (again) that are totally unlike me, that often wake up early in the morning in November and walk up mountains.

How have you all managed to stay active while doing all of your best work with your butt in a chair?  Or is it something, like me, that you're struggling with?  Let me know, leave me a comment!  I'd love to hear from you, and I'd really like tips on how to beat it, unless the best advice is 'willpower'.  Have a great night!

1 comment:

  1. "The less you do the less you can do."

    George Shehan in Running and Being

    Which means, to me at least, that there is a price for being sedentary. There is a price for everything, of course, but sometimes the price you pay is too high. I had to help a lady at Sam's Club this afternoon load a case of one half liter water bottles into the back seat of her car. She had been waiting for someone to come along. No big deal, except for the fact that I'm sure she was younger than I was.

    ReplyDelete