Followers

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

New Excuse

Wow, is it Wednesday already?  Fear not, I have a brand new reason why I haven't been updating my blog.  Crappy internet.  You heard it here first, folks.  The internet that I've been using has been really, incredibly unreliable, and I really haven't been using it at all, just to update my word counts on my NaNo page and sometimes, if I'm really lucky, to check my email, although I rarely have the chance to actually respond.  I'm on a school computer right now, which is really the only way I'm going to be able to update my blog until the internet problem at home gets fixed.  Luckily, it's still good for writing, but hey, I'm not even using it for that right now.  Nope, I'm using my brand spaking old HP Omnibook 900.  This baby's running Windows '98, people.  Back off, this thing is smoking

The book is still going well, I'm hitting a sweet spot where everything seems to be flowing very nicely.  I almost had a crisis last night where I wasn't sure if I wanted the strange energy field that they were seeing to be natural or technological in nature, which opened up a whole new can of worms about my antagonists, and asking questions about them that I'm sure I'm not going to address in the book.  But I guess it would be good to know anyway.  I'm also entering my school's literary magazine competition, where the short story is due tonight at midnight and I think I overedited, but it's been really hard...  The story is not to exceed 3000 words, and I started last night with a rough product that was 2980 words long.  Right now it's like 2996, or something.  What am I supposed to do with that?  There's also a nonfiction category, which isn't really my thing, and a poetry section.  Man, I haven't written poetry in years, and what I did write was bad. 

So this morning I brought a book of selected poems by T.S. Elliot, whom I have never read, and started researching.  Have you ever read his poetry?  I feel like I'm going insane while reading it.  He's just putting words and sounds together, and it's really, really good!  So, then I wrote my poetry, which isn't NEARLY as good, because I have no idea how to write poetry, and now I just feel depressed.  I wrote three, which I would love to post here but I think that counts as the poem being 'published' which I don't really want - one from just taking random phrases from my notebook, which I think had surprisingly successful imagery, one with a futuristic feel that I got from another note in my notebook, and a third about a real event that almost made me have an epiphany about human nature.  None of them are very good, but what the hey, why not enter anyway?  I have three of the four of last years winners in my creative writing class, and that's a little daunting, but this is my first semester here and I really think I can win.  Winning would be nice.  I've never really won any kind of literary competition, which scares me a little, because I would hate to learn that my work is just unpublishable.  But hey, happy thoughts, productive thoughts.  Just tired today, I think.  Stayed up way too late watching my fiance play video games, and now I have to go to class.

Thank you for stopping by, as always, it's a joy to see you here.  I hope all your writings are going well, if that's your thing, and I hope that all of your other aspects of life are going okay, if it's not.  Have a great day, I'll try really hard to post something tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment